The Electrical Trades Program consists of classroom instruction (theory/math) and hands-on skills building excercises from simple wiring to conduit and service installations, including many necessary skills required in the construction industry. As the students progresses, troubleshoooting skills will be learned. The curriculum used is a multi-level series developed by the National Center of Construction Education and Research (NCCER) which will provide to the student nationally recognized transcripts of completed levels, and certificates with wallet cards for sudents that sucessfully complete the course levels.
Each junior and senior (age 16), may obtain their Maine State Electrical Helpers License and receive credit for completing the necessary hours of instruction as required by the Electrical Examining Board of Maine.
Students also have the oppurtunity to earn OSHA’s 10-hour Construction Safety Card, CPR card, and college credits while here at WCTC.
Students can compete against their peers at local, state and national levels against students from other technical schools in competitions sponsored by Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Maine and Skills USA.
- Junior or Senior first year in program. Looking at possible 2nd year students for an afternoon class.
- Physical dexterity(especially hands), no fear of heights
- Have reading and comprehension skills.
- Should not be color blind.
- Basic math abilities (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals and metric system) Use of calculators permitted after sucessfully proving competancy and ability.
- Leather work shoes/boots (No open toed shoes or sneakers!) Required to work in shop.
- We provide tools to use while in class, but we welcome the student that commits and brings their own. Locker available.
- State of Maine Electrical Helpers License
- Safety glasses. Required to work in shop.
- Work gloves. Required to work in shop.
- No Cell Phones. Cell phone may be collected at the beginning of class and returned at the end.
This course meets Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, and Fri from 8:45 am to 11:00 am.
This course is held at WCTC in room Electrical Trades.
Course ID: ET